Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist Job at Dartmouth Veterinary Hospital – Dartmouth, NS
Veterinary Assistant / Receptionist
Location: Dartmouth Veterinary Hospital
Hours: Full Time Position (approximately 30-40 hours a week)
Start Date: Immediately
Dartmouth Vet is growing! Are you determined to give the best to clients and ensure you are doing all you can for each patient that comes in? Are you outgoing, compassionate, and an effective communicator? Do you treat everyone with utmost respect? Are you detailed-orientated, efficient, work well under pressure, and enjoy working with people and animals? If you answered “Yes!” we want to hear from you!
The role of the Veterinary Assistant with PetFocus is one that demands great versatility. Your primary objectives are excellent client and patient care at all times. Your time will be divided equally amongst hospital upkeep, caring for pets, assisting the veterinarians or technicians, administrative duties (including reception) and educating clients on best practices for animal health. It is our commitment and pleasure to work with our clients to ensure we provide the best advice and care at all times.
Excellent communication skills are a must. Knowledge of basic veterinary terminology is required for accurate medical record maintenance and effective co-worker based communication. Knowledge of/ability to learn commonly used computer programs and veterinary software is needed. You will be required to perform basic math calculations. Enthusiasm, self-motivation, and empathy are necessary to excel at this job. You should be people oriented, able to prioritize and work calmly under pressure. A good understanding of animal behaviour and proper restraint technique is paramount. Adaptability and flexibility are key traits to possess in this role.
As a Veterinary Assistant your job involves client care, animal care, hospital cleanliness, and administrative duties (including reception). You may be called upon to fill a “float” position where you are in multiple areas of the clinic at different times during your shift or your duties change with each shift. The Veterinary Assistant is able to complete all of the duties listed in the job description for the CCS
The ideal candidate for this position:
– Provides excellent customer service; is able to connect with people in a genuine, friendly and compassionate manner.
-Is a positive and successful communicator; both verbal and written in a fast-paced environment
– Experience working with office equipment and the ability to use multiple types of software programs, social media tools, email, phone, fax etc.
– Prior knowledge of or the ability to learn medical terminology and Veterinary software programs
– Ability to work equally effectively with or without supervision.
-Shows initiative and seeks out opportunities to “raise the bar”
-Is dedicated to life long learning
– Detail orientated and excellent organizational skills.
– Graduation from an approved Veterinary Assistant Program or relevant background in animal healthcare is required
-Previous client care / customer service experience is required
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Part-time hours: 30-40 per week
Salary: $15.00-$17.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- DARTMOUTH, NS: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Veterinary Assistant: 1 year (preferred)
- Front desk: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person
About the Company
Company: Dartmouth Veterinary Hospital –
Company Location: Dartmouth, NS